Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Shrimp Scampi

I think shrimp scampi gets a bad rep. a lot of times i don't make it because i think it is full of calories and so bad for me. but, it's really not. what really makes shrimp scampi so bad for you is the butter. solution: don't use it. it is really simple as that. you replace the butter with lots of olive oil and lemon juice to give the sauce it's flavor. you can even use whole wheat pasta to amp up protein and fiber.

here are the ingredients for shrimp scampi:

1 pound linguini
(go whole wheat for better health benefits)
1/4 onion minced
- onions contain flavanoids, which help vitamin C function. It also helps with cardiovascular problems.
4 cloves garlic minced -
garlic is high in manganese, vitamin c, and vitamin b6 - it also helps with cardiovascular issues.
3/4 to 1 pound shrimp -
high in vitamin D, B12, and iron. 4 0z of shrimp provide over 20 grams of protein
1 cup white wine -
its just good. and better than butter.
juice of 1 lemon -
lemons contain high amounts of vitamin C
3 T of olive oil -
good source of monounsaturated fats and vitamin E
1 cup peas -
high in vitamin K, manganese, vitamin C, fiber, vitamin B1 and folate
reserve 1 cup pasta water

salt and pepper

1. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil till softened
2. Put in shrimp and saute till done about 5 or 6 min. take out the shrimp and cover to keep warm
3. add wine and lemon juice and olive oil- let boil and give it time to reduce- salt and pepper to taste
4. add cooked linguini and shrimp to sauce
5. toss with 1 cup reserved pasta water, frozen peas (they will cook from the heat of the sauce)fresh parsley and handful of parmesan if desired

see- shrimp scampi can be GOOD for you! shocking! this news will change your life!;)

5 comments:

  1. Good to know... I made the butter kind and felt bad after cause of how much butter I used. I still have some shrimp so I might try it this way. Do you have to use the wine? I don't have any... just curious if it's important??

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the wine gives it a lot of flavor. BUT you could try chicken stock. i think that would work too. you might add a little more lemon and olive oil to to amp the flavor.

    i'm all about some flava!! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey friend! SO glad you posted on my blog and SO excited to know about your blog!! we need to email and catch up soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum. you are such a great cook! I started a cooking blog, but I only have one post so far and that was back in January so we shall see if I ever write on it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm making this tonight... i just printed it... keep your meals coming! love u!

    ReplyDelete